Why care about accreditation?

Australian Standards for testing fire equipment requires that the testing be completed by a competent person. So how do you, the client, know if someone is competent?


There are some equipment that you are required to be licensed to test, they include:

  • Fire sprinkler systems
  • Fire hose reels
  • Fire pumps
  • Fire Hydrant systems
  • Gaseous fire systems using ozone depleting gases.

For more information on licensing refer to our blog article on licensing.

So what about other fire equipment?

The Fire Protection Association (FPA) Australia has developed an industry scheme called the Fire Protection Accreditation Scheme (FPAS) to help clients identify if their provider is competent.

There are FPAS accreditations for

  • Fire extinguishers and blankets
  • Fire detection systems, alarms and emergency warning systems
  • Fire compartment walls and floors
  • Fire and smoke doors
  • Exit and emergency lighting

So what do you do?

To ensure that you are using licensed and competent fire maintenance contractors just ask for the technician’s licenses and FPAS accreditation. Compare this with what they are testing to ensure that they are competent.

If you are unsure or need more information please contact us directly on 08 8262 9245.

Back to Articles